Keto-Friendly Chicken Soup
The Keto journey has began my friends! As with all diets, I’m pretty excited about this particular one because my diet has been pretty shit. I’ve gained weight thanks to December shenanigans with a dash of “just one meal won’t hurt”. So, I’ve decided to give this Keto thing a try because it looks like something I could easily do. Carbs have been my undoing in pretty much any food change I have ever attempted so I think this time around, I’ll be successful.
It’s a little challenging to get creative on a budget when you have a high protein diet but I’ve managed to keep my wallet intact by swapping out some main meals for heavy soups like this chicken soup.
You will need:
1 Kenchic soup pack
1 tsp of salt
1 tsp crushed black pepper
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp of unsalted butter
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp of rosemary (a little less if fresh)
1 tsp of mixed dried herbs i.e oregano, basil and parsely (It comes in a container from Tropical Heat)
1/2 cup of regular cooking cream or heavy cream (if you want it thicker)
1 red onion
4 cloves garlic
3 sprigs of salad onion for garnish
- In a medium size pot, throw in your chicken and fill with water to the brim. Add your salt and rosemary and let it boil for about 1 hour or until chicken is extremely tender
- When the chicken is done, drain the broth and put in a container. You can sieve it if you like. When the chicken is cool enough, tear apart from bones with your hands or shred with a fork by pulling it roughly off the bone.
- In the same pot, add your butter and olive oil. Throw in the onions and garlic and let them cook down. To this, add in your cumin, mixed herbs and black pepper.
- After about a minute, add in your broth and chicken pieces. Stir this in and then add in your cream. Set the heat to low and let it simmer for about 6-7 minutes.
- Serve with the salad onions sprinkled on the soup.